Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 12 13:45:51 PST 2012

On 12 December 2012 21:10, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Iain Buclaw wrote:

>> > Just a heads up, GitHub has removed their Uploads feature[1].  Current
>> > uploads still work but this next release is going to need to either go back
>> > to the Digital Mars server like it was before or find a new home. I prefer
>> > the latter for speed reasons. Amazon S3 is fast and works well (it's what
>> > GitHub Uploads was backed by) and should be fairly affordable for the sizes
>> > we are talking about (I'd guess $3-4 per month).
>> >
>> > http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/gsg/GetStartedWithS3.html
>> >

>> > [1] https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads
>>
>> I can offer a server for that, hosted a datacentre in the UK.  If I
>> recall correctly, the net link are behind a 100GB link, testing the
>> net speed, I get 250MB/s upload speed to Europe, only 20MB/s upload to
>> America though.
>>

>> Regards,
>> --
>> Iain Buclaw
>
> Generous offer.  I've been meaning to build packaging into the auto-tester
> for both release builds and more frequent (nightly or maybe even every
> cycle) builds.  I was going to toss them into s3 with a cloudfront
> distribution in front of that.  Sounds like that needs to go higher on the
> todo list given github's recent changes.
>
> The advantage of CloudFront is fast access all over the planet, though it
> has a cost associated with it.  I'll bear that until it starts to hurt.

It's one of the perks of working in a UK-based cloud hosting company.
I have been given the go ahead to build a server used as an
auto-tester (initially intended specifically for GDC, though can throw
in a DMD auto-tester too).  Though one of the downsides would be that
if I were to leave, so would the site.

I also have another server host in the UK by Linode (this I pay for) -
currently only used for gdcproject.org - this could be used as an EU
based mirror for downloads.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw