OT (partially): about promotion of integers

ixid nuaccount at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:36:34 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 12 December 2012 at 21:27:35 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 3:12 AM, foobar wrote:
>> Regarding performance and overflow checking, the example you
>> give is x86
>> specific. What about other platforms? For example ARM is very
>> popular nowadays
>> in the mobile world and there are many more smart-phones out
>> there than there
>> are PCs. Is the same issue exists and if not (I suspect not,
>> but really have no
>> idea) should D be geared towards current platforms or future
>> ones?
>
> I don't know the ARM instruction set.

I think it would be very hard, at this stage, to argue that you
should be putting your effort into ARM rather than x86. It's a
nice to have that doesn't seem very relevant to gaining traction
for D, areas like bioinformatics seem more relevant.