Next focus: PROCESS

Marco Nembrini marco.nembrini.co at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 23:35:57 PST 2012

> I really don't care about the numbering scheme and this is
> irrelevant to the topic of this discussion. We are discussing
> the PROCESS of development. How the releases are tagged is
> completely beside the point and could be named after sweet
> delights, cat names, Parks or even digits of PI. I really don't
> care and it really is _not important_.

I agree that the numbering scheme should be chosen after the
process is defined and not before, and numbering schemes are
meaningless (like firefox's) _unless_ they represent some
guarantee that the developer is willing to make. In that case the
can be very effective imho (see http://semver.org/ for an
example).

So if the process chosen makes guarantees about the project,
those should be expressed by the version number. For example
ubuntu's Server LTS guarantees 5 years of support, and the
numbering scheme is year.month, so you know right away that
ubuntu 8.04 is still supported right now. They could have named
it Ubuntu Pluto and you could have looked up the end date for the
support, but since you have to differentiate your releases
anyway, you might as well use meaningful numbers.