Next focus: PROCESS

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Thu Dec 13 10:26:18 PST 2012

On Thursday, 13 December 2012 at 15:44:25 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:

> My feeling here was that as it stands Phobos is still somewhat
> more in flux than D itself, not so much in terms of breaking
> changes as in terms of new features being added.  So, I was
> wondering if it might be worthwhile to make new-Phobos-feature
> releases on a more regular basis at least in the short term
> while the library is still being expanded.  But I won't press
> for it too much.

I'll be the first to agree that Phobos should be separated from
the compiler releases, but not entirely. I wish the std lib could
be separated into an "essential component" and a "non-essential
component" so that a partial decoupling could be achieved, that
way the essential component could be directly locked into
successive compiler releases, while leaving out the non-essential
as a separate add-on package following it's own course of
development.

But IMO we're straying off-topic because what we really need to
do first, is fire up a wiki page to write down and agree on (as
best as we can) what we want to achieve (a list of goals), and
only after that can we continue on deciding what process will
meet all of the agreed on goals.

Anyone proficient in wiki pages want to create a new page for
defining the goals?

--rt