No bounds checking for dynamic arrays at compile time?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 13 13:31:08 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 9:40 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I wouldn't
> be surprised if many (most?) programmers will be shocked to learn where
> the real hotspots in their code are, contrary to whatever preconceived
> notions they may have had.

I can vouch for this. I've been programming for 35 years, and I still get
gobsmacked by where the real bottleneck is.

For errors, what I try to do is look at the kinds of patterns of error that are
commonplace, and try to devise ways to head them off. Expending effort on better
detection of errors that people don't make is a waste of time.

(Note I said "better" detection. Errors still need to be detected.)