Next focus: PROCESS

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Dec 14 07:02:57 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 06:41:25PM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Walter and I have had a long discussion following his trip to
> Australia. Following the current sprint for Win64 (which we all, I
> think, agree was long overdue and had to be done), the main area we
> need to work on (as I'm sure many would agree) is improving our
> process, in particular the approach to releasing the compiler and
> standard library.
>
> Walter has delegated me to lead this effort, and agreed to obey with
> whatever process comes forward as long as it's reasonably clear and
> simple.
>
> In turn, I'll be collecting thoughts and opinions in this thread,
> distilled from previous discussions. We should develop a few simple
> git scripts (such as git-start-new-feature or git-start-bugfix etc)
> supported by an equally simple piece of documentation describing how
> to start a new release, fix a bug, experiment with a new feature,
> and such.
>
> (One piece that has been brought forward is
> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ - something
> to keep in mind.)
>
> Please chime in with ideas and thoughts.
[...]

Hi Andrei,

A number of us have put up a draft of a proposed release process on the
wiki, based on some of the things discussed in this thread.

	http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process

It would be *very* helpful if you could chime in with some comments from
your POV as one of the core developers (in fact, it would be very good
if we can have some input from _any_ of the core devs):

	http://wiki.dlang.org/Talk:Release_Process

Right now we think we have some good ideas going, but we don't want to
go too far afield without any input from the core devs, since they are
the ones (mainly) who will be implementing this process.

Three out of two people have difficulties with fractions. -- Dirk Eddelbuettel