Compilation strategy

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 09:27:36 PST 2012

On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 17:05:59 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 16:55:39 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> A quick straw poll.  Do people prefer to have all sources
>> compiled in a
>> single compiler call, or (more like C++) separate compilation
>> of each
>> object followed by a link call.
>
> Single compiler call is easier for small projects, but I worry
> about compile times for larger projects...

As evident by Phobos and my own project[1], for larger projects
multiple concurrent calls is the only way to go. Rebuilding
everything does take a bit, but a bit of thought behind the
layout of the project and things work much faster when working on
specific areas.

Cheers, Jakob.

[1] http://github.com/Charged/Miners