Compilation strategy

RenatoUtsch renatoutsch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 09:31:17 PST 2012

On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 17:05:59 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 16:55:39 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> A quick straw poll.  Do people prefer to have all sources
>> compiled in a
>> single compiler call, or (more like C++) separate compilation
>> of each
>> object followed by a link call.
>
> Single compiler call is easier for small projects, but I worry
> about compile times for larger projects...

Yes, I'm writing a build system for D (that will be pretty damn
good, I think, it has some interesting new concepts), and
compiling each source separately to an object, and then linking
everything will allow easily to make the build parallel, dividing
the sources to compile in various threads. Or the compiler
already does that if I pass all source files in one call?

-- Renato Utsch