Significant GC performance penalty

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Sat Dec 15 12:05:25 PST 2012

On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 13:04:41 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 11:35:18 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-14 19:27, Rob T wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder what can be done to allow a programmer to go fully
>>> manual,
>>> while not loosing any of the nice features of D?
>>
>> Someone has create a GC free version of druntime and Phobos.
>> Unfortunately I can't find the post in the newsgroup right now.
>
> http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=20

Thanks for the link, Windows only and I'm using Linux, but still
worth a look.

Note this, comment below, a 3x difference, same as what I
experienced:

Update:
I found a piece of code that did manually slow down the
simulation in case it got to fast. This code never kicked in with
the GC version, because it never reached the margin. The manual
memory managed version however did reach the margin and was
slowed down. With this piece of code removed the manual memory
managed version runs at 5 ms which is 200 FPS and thus nearly 3
times as fast as the GC collected version.