Next focus: PROCESS

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Dec 16 03:15:56 PST 2012

On 12/15/2012 09:39 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> Can we drop the LTS name ? It reminds me of ubuntu, and I clearly hope that
> people promoting that idea don't plan to reproduce ubuntu's scheme :
>   - it is not suitable for a programming language (as stated 3 time now, so just
> read before why I won't repeat it).
>   - ubuntu is notoriously unstable.

Call them "stable release cycles" if you like, which is what they are intended
to be.  It's just that "long-term support" actually conveys quite well what
_users_ can expect using these versions.

By the way, no one has proposed "using Ubuntu's scheme".  I made a proposal that
drew on a number of ideas inspired by Ubuntu's release model, including
terminology, but the actual detail was quite different and was tailored to my
perceived requirements of D, not an operating system.

So, once again, I'd appreciate your response to those details, rather than your
perception that I'm proposing "using Ubuntu's scheme".