OT (partially): about promotion of integers

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Dec 16 05:05:49 PST 2012

On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 17:11:01 UTC, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 23:59:29 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
>> But as usual you have to take such comparisons cum grano
>> salis, because there are a lot more people working on the GHC
>> compiler and because the Shootout Haskell solutions are quite
>> un-idiomatic (you can see it also from the Shootout site
>> itself, taking a look at the length of the solutions) and they
>> come from several years of maniac-level discussions (they have
>> patched the Haskell compiler and its library several times to
>> improve the results of those benchmarks):
>>
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Shootout
>

> I looked at that haskellwiki page but I didn't find anything to
> suggest -- "they have patched the Haskell compiler and its
> library several times to improve the results of those
> benchmarks"?
>
> Was it something the compiler writers told you?

Probably bearophile meant that the shootout allowed them to see
some weaknesses in some implementations, and therefore helped
them improve on those. It's also something that would benefit D
if, say, GDC was granted to come back in the shootout. Given it's
now widely acknowledged (at least in the programming communities)
to be one of the most promising languages around...