Next focus: PROCESS

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Dec 16 07:43:37 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:05:58AM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
> Just one tidbit of information: I talked to Walter and we want to
> build into the process the ability to modify any particular release.
> (One possibility is to do so as part of paid support for large
> corporate users.) That means there needs to be one branch per
> release.
[...]

This can be done easily if we maintain each release as a separate git
branch. It does not even require modifying the current process, since as
I understand it we're already proposing to branch when making a release.
So in theory, if there's an urgent need, we can sidestep the "maintain
at most two stable releases at a time" part of the process, checkout an
older release, apply a bugfix, release another patch, etc..

If we name the git branches properly, there shouldn't be a problem with
the proliferation of branches, as it will be obvious what each branch is
for.

Try to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out. -- theboz