Next focus: PROCESS

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 16 08:23:57 PST 2012

On 12/16/12 10:15 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> Just one tidbit of information: I talked to Walter and we want to
>> build into the
>> process the ability to modify any particular release. (One possibility
>> is to do
>> so as part of paid support for large corporate users.) That means
>> there needs to
>> be one branch per release.
>
> Can you expand on the requirements/goals there a bit? Would be useful to
> have a good sense of what kind of modifications you have in mind.

Right now we're using a tagging system for releases, implying releases
are just snapshots of a continuum. But what we need is e.g. to be able
to patch 2.065 to fix a bug for a client who can't upgrade right now.
That means one branch per release.

> I don't think anything in what I've proposed (elsewhere in this thread,
> I'm afraid I haven't written it up on the wiki yet...) is incompatible
> with the notion of one branch per release.

I agree. Just wanted to add this to the general discussion.

Andrei