Next focus: PROCESS

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:12:12 PST 2012

On Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 20:08:11 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-12-16 20:04, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>
>> I see it unreasonable to maintain every release. If we need to
>> make a
>> special "maintenance" release then we directly handle the
>> issue being
>> requested instead of providing every fix applicable.
>
> We could say that we support X number of older releases.

That was my Y.

A patch should be created off the oldest supported version. If Y
is 5 then that means checking 5 releases to decided where to
create the patch from. The current suggestion makes Y at most 3
and generally 2.

What is being requested is to back port a patch for customer
using version Z, even if Z is 2.34. It is a special case and the
driving force could be any number of reasons. The age is not
really important, but the point is the community officially
dropped support but someone made a compelling argument to bring
that support back.