Next focus: PROCESS

foobar foo at bar.com
Mon Dec 17 09:31:44 PST 2012

On Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 22:43:13 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 22:18:14 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>> This sounds to me like a bad idea. And indeed, I haven't heard
>> of any other project doing this.
>
> Having release branches is a common practice for many open
> source projects. For example, KDE creates a branch per minor
> release, with patch releases being made off that branch. LLVM
> also has a branch for each release.
>
> David

Huh?
Both LLVM and KDE are developed on *subversion* and as such their
work-flows are not applicable. Not to mention that KDE is vastly
different in concept and goals than a programming language.

Subversion is conceptually very different from git and its model
imposes practical restrictions that are not relevant for git,
mostly with regards to branches, merging, etc. Actions which are
first class and trivial to accomplish in git. This is analogous
to designing highways based on the speed properties of bicycles.