Compilation strategy

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:27:38 PST 2012

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:47:36 -0800, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I've often thought Java bytecode was a complete joke. It doesn't deliver
> any of its promises. You could tokenize Java source code, run the result
> through an lzw compressor, and get the equivalent functionality in every
> way.

Not true at all. Bytecode is semi-optimized, easier to manipulate with
(obfuscate, instrument, etc), JVM/CLR bytecode is shared by many languages
(Java, Scala/C#,F#) so you don't need a separate parser for each language,
and there is hardware that supports running JVM bytecode on the metal. Try
doing the same with lzw'd source code.