Compilation strategy

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Mon Dec 17 18:24:28 PST 2012

> 3) Performance can be improved to (near) native speeds with a
> JIT
> compiler. But then you might as well as go native to begin
> with. Why
> wait till runtime to do compilation, when it can be done
> beforehand?

The point though is that with a JIT, you can transmit source code
(or byte code which is smaller in size) over a wire and have it
execute natively on a client machine. You cannot do that with
native machine code because the client machine is always an
unknown target.

> But then again, even if we never do this, it makes no
> difference to *me*
> -- the current situation is good enough for *me*. The question
> is
> whether or not we want to D to be better received by
> enterprises.

Exactly, the *we* part of all this doesn't matter in the
slightest, it's what the end user wants that matters. If many
potential D users want to hide their code (even if it's trivially
hidden), but D won't let them, then they won't use D. It's a very
simple equation, but holding on to idealisms will often get in
the way of good sense.

We already had one corporate user complain in here about the
issue, and for everyone who complains there are dozens more who
will say nothing at all and just walk away.

--rt