Should compilers take advantage (abuse) of the new UDA syntax that has been accepted?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:47:36 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 16:43:53 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 15:19:58 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> Should we take this as an opportunity for other compiler
>> maintainers to implement their own compiler-specific
>> predefined attributes?
>
> Please, no!

Before anyone says "that would never happen", consider that C++11
was forced to use 'decltype' instead of the more natual 'typeof'
because GCC already added 'typeof' as an extension. The same
thing happened with the containers. GCC added stdext::hash_map as
an extension, so C++11 had to use the ugly std::unordered_map
(yep, even the different namespace didn't help).