Javascript bytecode

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:29:49 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 18:11:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Javascript proves that bytecode is not required for "write
> once, run everywhere", which was one of the pitches for
> bytecode.
>
> What is required for w.o.r.e. is a specification for the source
> code that precludes undefined and implementation defined
> behavior.

Yes, bytecode isn't strictly required, but it's certainly
desirable. Bytecode is much easier to interpret, much easier to
compile to, and more compact.

The downside of bytecode is loss of high-level meaning... but
that depends on the bytecode. There's nothing stopping the
bytecode from being a serialised AST (actually, that would be
ideal).

> Note also that Typescript compiles to Javascript. I suspect
> there are other languages that do so, too.

There are lots. It's probably the most compiled-to high level
language language out there (including C).