Compilation strategy

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Dec 18 11:26:24 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:06:43AM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/18/2012 9:49 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Is it too late to change CTFE to work via native code?
>
> No, because doing so involves zero language changes. It is purely a
> quality-of-implementation issue.

Well, that much is obvious; I was just wondering if the current
implementation will require too much effort to make it work with native
code CTFE.

> >Besides the effort required to rework the existing code (and perhaps
> >the cross-compiling issue, though I don't see it as a major issue),
>
> Um, it does introduce major support costs for porting to different CPU
> targets.
[...]

Could you elaborate? In my mind, there's not much additional cost to
what's already involved in targeting a particular CPU in the first
place. Since the CPU is already targeted, we generate native code for it
and run that during CTFE.

Or are you referring to cross-compiling?

Tech-savvy: euphemism for nerdy.