Next focus: PROCESS

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Tue Dec 18 14:59:29 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 22:37:10 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 20:55:34 UTC, Joseph Rushton
> Wakeling wrote:
>> On 12/18/2012 09:48 PM, SomeDude wrote:
>>> And it's not the same at all as creating one branch every
>>> month.
>>
>> But why would you do that?  The general discussion seems to
>> have been around the idea of 1 or 2 stable releases per year,
>> 1 every 3 months max.
>
> THat's what I understood from Andrei's post:
>
>> Just one tidbit of information: I talked to Walter and we want
>> to build into the process the ability to modify any particular
>> release. (One possibility is to do so as part of paid support
>> for large corporate users.) That means there needs to be one
>> branch per release.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Maybe I misunderstood him, I don't know.

He seemed to imply that, but to me it makes little sense to
support older versions of a stable release. The support comes
from the latest stable bug fix update, and you normally don't
bother propagating a bug fix any further down stream. The best
you may do, is after a new release is made, continue supporting
the latest older release for a limited period of time until the
newest release is considered completely free of any major bugs.

If there's a code breaking release, I can see the previous older
stable version being supported for a fairly long period of time.

--rt