Javascript bytecode

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 17:09:13 PST 2012

Without bytecode, the entire compiler becomes a dependency of a
AOT/JIT compiled program.. not only does bytecode allow for
faster on-site compilations, it also means half the compiler can
be stripped away (so i'm told, i'm not claiming to be an expert
here).

I'm actually kinda surprised there hasn't been more of a AOT/JIT
compiling push within the D community.. D's the best there is at
code specialization, but half of that battle seems to be hardware
specifics only really known on-site... like SIMD for example.
I've been told many game companies compile against SIMD 3.1
because that's the base-line x64 instruction set. If you could
query the hardware post-distribution (vs pre-distribution)
without any performance loss or code complication (to the
developer), that would be incredibly idea. (ps. I acknowledge
that this would probably _require_ the full compiler, so there's
probably not be to much value in a D-bytecode).

The D compiler is small enough for distribution I think (only
~10mb compressed?), but the back-end license restricts it right?