Next focus: PROCESS

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 17:48:47 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 01:38:16 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 02:22 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> I don't see how they aren't release. They are released. But
>> they have branches,
>> they are tags. Each time you package the software to put it in
>> download
>> somewhere for users to use, you do a release.
>>
>> I you want to talk about branch or versions talk about branch
>> or versions, not
>> release please.
>
> OK, let me rephrase it.  I doubt that it makes sense to have a
> separate branch for minor point releases (i.e. going from N.x.y
> --> N.x.y+1, a bugfix release).
>
> You'd have an N.x branch and you'd tag the .y minor point
> releases.
>
> I don't think this is in contradiction with Andrei's intentions.

No indeed. I think that this way make sense. But I'm afraid that
releasing a new version (note version, not revision) every 6
month or so will lead to an important number of version to
maintain simultaneously if we want to ensure some stability.

I think the smart move here is to release new feature less often,
but to release more at once, and at the same time go fast on bug
fixes.

I frankly more worried about the fact that D has feature that
don't integrate nicely with each other right now than by D not
having enough features.