add phobos module std.halffloat ?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 19 02:13:40 PST 2012

On 19 December 2012 08:55, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2012 12:47 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

>>> Cool, Walter does a pull request. Should this be put in the review queue
>>> or is this a small enough change to be added anyway?
>>>

>> Seems a bit overkill to throw it in the review queue, but I don't know how
>> rigorous we want to be about that.
>>

> Probably the main point of this module is to demonstrate how to do new
> arithmetic types like this without needing compiler support. It also shows
> how to do IEEE floating point rounding correctly, which is not obvious and
> not trivial.

How difficult would you think it would be to scale down (or up) this
library type so it can be an emulated IEEE type of any size? (The whole
shebang eg: quarter, half, single, double, quad, double-quad, 80bit and
96-bit).   Just interested as I think that a module which implements an
IEEE floating point type that produces constant results cross-platform
would be better than a dedicated module just for half float types.

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';