Next focus: PROCESS

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:40:55 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 21:30:44 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/19/12 4:23 PM, foobar wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 20:51:57 UTC, deadalnix
>> wrote:

>>> No. Stable isn't a boolean criteria. You'll find different
>>> degree of
>>> stability going from not so stable (dev version) to very
>>> stable (dead
>>> project).
>>>
>>> The wiki already mention a process with a branch per version
>>> of the
>>> software.
>>
>> Let's generalize this point for the sake of reaching consensus
>> - we need
>> _at least one_ "stable" branch which is separate from
>> "staging". We are
>> still conflicted as to what should be the maximum amount. For
>> the
>> record, I'm with the camp advocating at most a fixed amount
>> countable on
>> one hand. That's an O(1) with a very small constant as opposed
>> to the
>> O(n) suggestion by Andrei. I hope Andrei appreciates the order
>> of
>> efficiency here.
>
> I agree with one "stable" branch.

This does conflict with the requirement you gave before about
being able to support anything, as previous stable version cannot
be revised.

Or does stable here mean supported ? (which means we still have
branch per version, but only one version is supported)