Next focus: PROCESS

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:43:41 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 22:30:29 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/19/12 5:07 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 21:48:22 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Walter needs to chime in about that. One possibility is to
>>> continue
>>> using tags for marking releases, and then branch for the few
>>> important
>>> releases that we want to patch.
>>>

>> Note that what is described on the wiki distinguish new
>> version (that
>> actually bring new stuff) and revision (that contains only
>> bugfixes).
>>
>> Does having branches that are not used anymore is a problem ?
>> They'll
>> not make the repository much bigger because the data is in
>> history anyway.
>
> I kinda like the idea that we have tags for releases not
> planned for long term support and distinguished branches for
> those that we do. Clarifies intent a lot.

Should something be released if nobody will support it ?

If it is in order to provide overview of what is coming in the
next version, I guess the best option is to provide a snapshot of
the staging branch on regular basis (and call it beta or
whatever).

Reading this answer, I start to think that we have something
pretty close in mind but fail to explain it to each other.