Next focus: PROCESS

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Dec 19 15:08:58 PST 2012

On 12/19/12 5:43 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 22:30:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 12/19/12 5:07 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>>>>

>>> Note that what is described on the wiki distinguish new version (that
>>> actually bring new stuff) and revision (that contains only bugfixes).
>>>
>>> Does having branches that are not used anymore is a problem ? They'll
>>> not make the repository much bigger because the data is in history
>>> anyway.
>>
>> I kinda like the idea that we have tags for releases not planned for
>> long term support and distinguished branches for those that we do.
>> Clarifies intent a lot.
>>

> Should something be released if nobody will support it ?

My understanding is that's what many projects do. Supporting each minor
release would make for a ton of work.

> If it is in order to provide overview of what is coming in the next
> version, I guess the best option is to provide a snapshot of the staging
> branch on regular basis (and call it beta or whatever).

No, I'm not talking about previews.

> Reading this answer, I start to think that we have something pretty
> close in mind but fail to explain it to each other.

That's quite possible. Again, I'm not an expert in the matter and turned
to the community for that reason. What we're looking for is a process
that makes things better for everyone involved without having too much
overhead.

Andrei