Next focus: PROCESS

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:22:49 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 23:08:59 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> My understanding is that's what many projects do. Supporting
> each minor release would make for a ton of work.

The whole point is to not support all minor release. Usually
project supports one or 2 of them, that's it. Nobody win in
supporting more.

For instance, python is supporting 2.7 and 3.3 .
PHP support 5.3 and 5.4 .
Ruby support 1.9 .
Java support 1.6 and 1.7 .
scala 2.8 and 2.9 .

As you can see, this is very common way of doing thing in the
programming language world.

I propose to release snapshot of staging in order to allow for
very few version branches to be created, while still alowing
people to try the very last D, and so allow to support them for
an extended period of time without havin to ends up in a
maintenance hell.

>> If it is in order to provide overview of what is coming in the
>> next
>> version, I guess the best option is to provide a snapshot of
>> the staging
>> branch on regular basis (and call it beta or whatever).
>
> No, I'm not talking about previews.

Then call let's call it rolling release, release candidate,
bleeding edge D, unstable, latest, whatever may fit depending on
how high we raise the bar in terms of stability.