add phobos module std.halffloat ?

tn no at email.com
Fri Dec 21 04:21:55 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 19:52:41 UTC, Robert Jacques
wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:35:39 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> On 12/19/12 2:30 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1018/files
>>
>> Shouldn't it be part of std.numeric?
>>
>> Related, we should have a decision point "this must go through
>> the review process" vs. "the pull review process is
>> sufficient". New modules definitely must go through the review
>> process, as should large additions to existing models.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> It _IS_ part of std.numeric!

Why is it in std.numeric anyway? I would expect std.numeric to
contain numerical algorithms, not something like this.

Suggestion: Combine HalfFloat with CustomFloat and move the
result in a separate module, say std.float. Also move there
IeeeFlags, FloatingPointControl, NaN, getNaNPayload, nextUp,
nextDown, nextafter and related things. Those have nothing to do
with math. Possibly also isNaN, isFinite, isNormal, isSubnormal
and isInfinity.