Javascript bytecode

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:08:10 PST 2012

On 2012-00-21 12:12, Max Samukha <maxsamukha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 December 2012 at 10:30:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 12/21/2012 2:13 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>>> What Walter is wrong about is that bytecode is entirely pointless.
>>
>> I'll bite. What is its advantage over source code?
>
> It is not about bytecode vs source code. It is about a common
> platform-independent  intermediate representation for multiple
> languages. JS is such a representation in the browsers and it is widely
> used. It it entirely pointless? I am not convinced it is.

But Walter has said that for exactly this purpose, bytecode is useful.
What he's said is that in the case proposed (using bytecode instead of
source code for CTFE), bytecode offers absolutely no advantage over
source.

Now can we move on? It's been said so many times now, and we all know
Walter is not a pushover. If nobody can present irrefutable, solid,
peer-reviewed, and definite proof that bytecode has significant
advantages over source code for the purpose of CTFE, such an
implementation will never be done, and the world will be better off
for it.

--
Simen