About Go, D module naming

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Dec 21 12:33:34 PST 2012

On Friday, December 21, 2012 20:58:02 David Nadlinger wrote:
> > […] change
> > the semantics of programs (due to have it affects conditional
> > compilation),
>
> Warnings should not affect conditional compilation, even if the
> user has warnings as errors turned on. The whole difference of
> warnings compared to errors is that they are not part of the
> language.

The problem is -w, which plenty of people use. The effect is that any warning
which can't be an error, can't be a warning. Warnings can therefore only be
things that are definitively wrong but which are okay to let happen in some
cases (as opposed to something which _might_ be wrong). If we didn't have -w,
then we could use warnings for stuff which was probably but not definitively
wrong and which was okay to force people to change (the fact that leaving in
warnings is never good practice means that you can't warn for anything which
it isn't reasonable to force people to change regardless of -w). But because
of -w, you can't have any warnings where it would not be reasonable to treat
them as an error. And it would be completely broken to treat warning about
unused variables as an error.

- Jonathan M Davis