About Go, D module naming

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Dec 22 07:57:07 PST 2012

On 12/22/12 3:30 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Legitimate uses of unused variables are mostly in library code, or user
> code similar to library code. Adding to those variable definitions a
> @used is fast and perfectly easy. It's not a "jumping through hoops".

I think this is a reframing we should shun because it switches the focus
from "what is the usefulness of this" to "what is the difficulty of
putting up with it".

The point here is demonstrating how helpful the feature is in writing
good quality code. In my time I've seen this warning helping here and
there, but I'd be hard pressed to convince myself or someone that it
really adds value. It's one of the most frequent _innocuous_ warnings I
see in third-party software when I compile it.

Furthermore, I just googled ``go unused variables'' and guess what the
first entry was:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/golang-nuts/OBsCksYHPG4

Andrei