dlang.org Library Reference

foobar foo at bar.com
Sun Dec 23 03:44:56 PST 2012

On Saturday, 22 December 2012 at 23:04:47 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/22/12 5:10 PM, foobar wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 December 2012 at 21:58:34 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
>> wrote:

>>> It's ugly that they are manually created. Over 300 lines of
>>> comments
>>> that the doc generator should be doing automatically. I would
>>> say that
>>> is far from awesome.
>>
>> I would add to that that duplicating both the FS and the D
>> module system
>> by yet another method of grouping symbols is a *horrible*
>> notion reeks
>> of poor design.
>
> What is FS? File system?
>
> Andrei

Yes, FS is the file system. sorry if it wasn't clear.

Any categorization IMO must be made *within* the language and not
in comments/documentation just as other attributes such as purity
and constancy are also better served being *within* the language.
D has plenty of means to accomplish this: code can be organized
into packages and modules and within a module, free functions can
be organized within stateless structs for additional namespace
categorization.

Using an all encompassing "algorithms" module is also unhelpful
as all code is essentially an algorithm to accomplish some task.
This is akin to opening a store called - "A store" or perhaps "A
place to sell you stuff".
As a client of said shop, I want a better description if I to buy
at the shop. Even a general "Clothes shop" is already much
better. For 3rd party it also often makes sense to have a brand
name - e.g we all know what "vibe.d" is all about.