About Go, D module naming

Tobias Pfaff no at sp.am
Sun Dec 23 04:20:01 PST 2012

Jonathan M. Davis wrote:
> A lint-like tool is free to point them out for you, and maybe an IDE could
> highlight them, but actually making the compiler consider unused variables to
> be either a warning or an error would be an incredibly bad idea for D - on top
> of the fact that it would be really annoying.

I find the notion of warnings with brazillions of compiler flags to be
outdated, anyways. I do want the possibility to obtain more information
from the compiler (in the lint-like fashion), but not in a way that spams
the console and I miss serious information.
So the nice thing to have here would be a standardized interface to the
compiler, or even compiler as a library, with direct data access to this
kind of information. An IDE could then process that, mark unused variables
and other possible errors in funky colors if desired, list them somewhere,
or even show it as an error info in the IDE if the user really wants that.
The user can then directly fade out warnings for code parts known to be
correct on IDE level.
Same thing could be done with custom scripts for the command line folks.