dlang.org Library Reference

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 23 05:21:17 PST 2012

On 12/23/12 6:44 AM, foobar wrote:
> Using an all encompassing "algorithms" module is also unhelpful as all
> code is essentially an algorithm to accomplish some task. This is akin
> to opening a store called - "A store" or perhaps "A place to sell you
> stuff".

That I disagree with a bit. I think it's rather clear that std.algorithm
includes classic, consecrated algorithms the kind you'll find in a book
entitled "Algorithms". By your argument a book called "Algorithms" would
not make sense because it would need to describe the entire computing world.

So if I'm looking for sort, I'd open "algorithm". If I'm looking for
parsing program options, I wouldn't expect it to be in the same place.

> As a client of said shop, I want a better description if I to buy at the
> shop. Even a general "Clothes shop" is already much better. For 3rd
> party it also often makes sense to have a brand name - e.g we all know
> what "vibe.d" is all about.

Such differentiation is also useful.

Andrei