D "Swing"

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 18:17:49 PST 2012

On Sunday, 23 December 2012 at 21:03:40 UTC, Chris wrote:
> There exist some GUI Toolkits for D, however, they are more or
> less all based on bindings to native toolkits.
>
> Is anyone working on or are there plans to develop a pure
> Swing-like GUI Framework for D? While bindings have the
> advantage of using native widgets, they tend to lack behind as
> native widgets toolkits evolve and improve from version to
> version. Also, the full use of native features is not always
> easily accomplished (cf. SWT/JFace). A self-contained framework
> (like Swing) that could be extended as needed by a small set of
> native bindings - to implement os specific tasks - might be
> worth looking into.
>
> D would have the benefit of hindsight in avoiding mistakes made
> in other GUI toolkits (such as Swing and SWT/JFace), and while
> this may sound like reinventing the wheel, catering for
> cross-platform bindings (Windows, Linux and OS X) is an endless
> race, and might not be real cross-platform after all, because
> either a whole platform is not (yet) catered for (cf. DWT), or
> some features are not yet implemented for one platform or
> another.
>
> Programmers have to make practical decisions and from my own
> experience I know that nothing is worse than betting on the
> wrong horse, and at present I could not decide on a GUI toolkit
> for D.
>
> Your comments and advice are more than welcome.

did you remember c++ lesson with qt? no, qt is good framework but
in fact its better when used your custom styles(imho), native
look and feel sometimes is just crappy, and custom cross platform
look'n'feel for your professional oriented stuff is another plus,
it instantly becomes recognizable and users don't need to adapt
to version on another system.

sorry if it still unclear, i'm  not against bindings to native ui
i'm just trying to say it is good for simple stuff only and only
when ur program targeting one system(again, imho).

so i think HTML/JS is the really(but not only, yes)
crossplatform(phones, set top boxes, pc's, just about
everywhere...), fast, cost effecient(the only tool you need to
start develop is text editor and browser with developer tools,
almost all if not any has such tools, there is lot of designers
and JS programmers, and so on) and modern UI, so you can take a
look at my recent project -
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/azrwqdorulvwhjcmmrxx@forum.dlang.org
though it still in alpha

sorry if that's not what you expect for gui framework stuff such
as gtk or qt.