D "Swing"

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Dec 24 03:56:41 PST 2012

On Monday, 24 December 2012 at 11:12:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 11:34 +0100, Chris wrote:
> […]
>> However, I also like HTML/JS solutions but am not sure whether
>> they can replace a real GUI framework like Cocoa or Swing. JS
>> is at times cumbersome to use for user interfaces.
> […]
>
> Possibly worth noting that the hope is that Swing goes away
> very soon
> now. JavaFX is the current offering for graphics and GUI on the
> JVM. Of
> course writing UIs in Java is a pain, hence GroovyFX
> (http://www.groovyfx.org). But, of course, writing UIs manually
> is a
> pain so the generator to use is Griffon
> (http://griffon.codehaus.org).

Yes, I agree Java is a pain when building GUI's. I only mentioned
it as an example of an independent framework. Personally I'd
prefer HTML(like) solutions for both desktop and mobile. There is
simply no time for endless platform support, especially in small
teams. But JS has its limitations as to UI development. So a
solution that uses HTML for rendering and allows any language to
implement the application logic would get my vote. I think the D
community should look in that direction too. I am simply not
convinced that DWT will take off (much as I appreciate the work
that has been put into it), because I remember the huge effort it
took SWT/JFace developers, although they were supported by a
large community and a big company. Also, it seems a bit absurd
that we have a good compilable cross-platform language like D and
cannot fully use it as such due to GUI issues.