D "Swing"

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Dec 24 04:59:07 PST 2012

> Am one of those who prefer to use native widgets compared to
> something like GTK. But as you say they don't all provide all
> features. I think a good idea is the use a cross-platform GUI
> library for the common widgets that exists on all platforms,
> i.e. buttons and windows. There's not reason to use the native
> API for those. Then extend that with platform specif code using
> the native API, i.e. unified tool bar, sheets and so on, that
> is found on Mac OS X.

But there will always be the issue of "feature not yet supported"
and bugs are introduced when the same code is run on a higher
version of a given os. And it may take a while to fix it, i.e. to
know what has changed in the new version etc. Native bindings are
a never ending story. I have worked with some native-binding
framworks and there is always an issue (maybe even a bug in the
native os).

> I agree that it would be really nice to have a cross-platform
> GUI framework written explicitly for D. But as you say that
> would be an enormous task to do.

Not sure. Maybe trying to catch up with and cater for at least 3
different platforms is the bigger task in the long run.

In my opinion, as D is getting ever more mature, it is about time
we had a reliable standard cross-platform GUI. It need not be a
framework like Swing. Maybe a more modern solution (HTML etc)
would do the trick. I think there is a widening gap between what
you can do with D in terms of business logic (a lot) and what you
can do with it in terms of connecting it to the desktop /
smartphone, i.e. to the user. D has what it takes but languages
can only take off if they have some sort of GUI too (cf.
Objective-C after the iPhone was introduced, and app development
in general). Sorry, that's my marketing mind speaking again.