moving away from changelog.dd?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 24 09:03:07 PST 2012

On Monday, December 24, 2012 11:41:22 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/24/12 8:59 AM, SomeDude wrote:
> > On Monday, 24 December 2012 at 03:51:37 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:

> >> Is adding things that don't belong in bugzilla to bugzilla really
> >> a great idea?
> >
> > Such as what ?
>
> Same question - far as I can tell Bugzilla is meant to track all changes
> to a software product, so I'd be hard pressed to come with something
> that's not appropriate for it.

How about the very example that I gave about specifically providing a note to
developers about the impending changes to std.format? No bug had been fixed,
and no enhancement request had been implemented. No code change had even taken
place yet. It was a note about a future change that developers needed to be
made aware of.

And while you _could_ put stuff like the inclusion of a new module in bugzilla,
I really don't think that it belongs there. Bugzilla is for bug reports and
enhancement requests, not for notes about changes to the code base. You can
look at source control for those.

I don't understand why you're so against having notes from human beings in the
changelog. Yes, automating the list of bugs would be great, because that list
is tedious and error-prone, but I dispute that it buys us anything to try and
do the same with the WHATSNEW section. If anything, it makes things worse by
trying to shoehorn non-bugs into bug reports.

- Jonathan M Davis