moving away from changelog.dd?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 24 09:27:00 PST 2012

On Monday, December 24, 2012 14:49:59 monarch_dodra wrote:
> Would it be a crazy idea to move the page to the wiki, and only
> pack it back into dmd when it gets packaged?
>
> I'd say the problem with changelog.dd is the effort associated
> with modifying it, no? On the wiki, it's basically "edit" "write"
> "commit" "done".
>
> The fact that you have to do an actual pull just to add an entry
> to a changelog makes something that should be easy as pie a real
> chore, and work grinds to a halt.

I thought about that, but I question that it buys us much. The bugzilla
portion should be automated. That then only leaves the WHATSNEW section, which
has far fewer entries. The wiki also opens us up to stray who-knows-who
editing it, which may or may not be a problem. I really don't think that it's
all that big a deal to create a pull request for a WHATSNEW section change
(it's also the sort of thing which is likely to be pulled quickly), and if
those are rare enough, and they relate to a specific pull request (as they
often do), then you can simply put the changelog change in that pull request.
I generally avoid that because of the risk of merge conflicts with
changelog.dd, but if the list of bugzilla changelog items is automated, then
the number of items which need to be put into changelog.dd is far lower, and
the risk of merge conflicts is significantly reduced.

- Jonathan M Davis