moving away from changelog.dd?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Dec 25 11:13:34 PST 2012

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 04:19:20 Walter Bright wrote:

> >> Enhancement requests may fill most of the bill...
> >
> > They definitely don't fill all of it though. We need to be able to put
> > specific messages in the changelog separate from bugzilla entries.
>
> An example would be helpful, as I'm not seeing the rationale.

I already did. The message about the std.format changes wouldn't make any
sense in bugzilla. Not to mention, what are you going to do to get that in the
changelog, try and create a bug report with that as its title (assuming that
bugzilla will let you create one that long) so that it'll pop up in the
changelog? Not to mention, that would put it in the middle of the changelog
when we wanted that at the top because of its importance.

Also, I don't think that notices about stuff being deprecated would make any
sense in bugzilla. They're not bugs. And I see no reason to try and put
notices for new functionality in bugzilla (e.g. module std.x has been added
which does XYZZY). In general, what goes in the WHATSNEW section just doesn't
make sense in bugzilla. The only exception might be stuff that was enhancement
requests which have been implemented.

I'm all for automating the list of bug fixes, but I see zero reason to try and
automate what goes in the WHATSNEW section.

- Jonathan M Davis