Learning Haskell makes you a better programmer?

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 11:57:38 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 25 December 2012 at 19:37:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I've often heard that claim, but here's an article with what
> the substance is:
>
> http://dubhrosa.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/lessons-learning-haskell.html?m=1
>
> Note that D offers this style of programming, with checkable
> purity, immutability and ranges. I think it is a very important
> paradigm.

I think you missed a big part here, the by default of purity. It
is in D more work to enforce purity of functions then not.

The other part he talked about is countered in the language (as
well to a worrying degree in Phobos) with function returns of
type auto.

Taking his example:
foo :: Map Integer String -> String -> auto

Even if the function always returns integer it only requires one
function to not do that and you would start second guessing every
function returning auto.

Cheers, Jakob.