Learning Haskell makes you a better programmer?

so so at so.so
Tue Dec 25 16:45:44 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 25 December 2012 at 20:50:35 UTC, SomeDude wrote:

> As for being a better programmer after having used some
> advanced concepts, I don't know. I think every feature of a
> language must be used where appropriate. I've seen some Python
> code using heavily map/filter/etc that was simply unreadable to
> me. In some places, I find  it easier to understand for loops,
> while in other cases, using functional style programming
> conveys the intent better. But maybe that's just me.

I didn't know "set -o vi" until a few weeks ago, learning it made
me a better linux user as i knew both vi and terminal. but it
didn't make me a better pc user generally. If my environment
doesn't evolve with me or lack tools to combine to make something
new (probably i'm repeating myself) than i gain nothing from
learning a feature of another language.

IMO, learning programming language X doesn't make you a better
programmer. Learning X make you better X programmer. But if your
existing environment/language is extremely flexible, takes code
generation *very* seriously, you have a case. You gain something
from learning a new feature or a paradigm. That is why lisp
fascinates me, as i believe code generation is one of the most
important (if not the most important) thing in a PL.