D "Swing"

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Dec 26 07:54:10 PST 2012

On 2012-12-25 22:40, Chris wrote:
> Is there a timeline for DWT Mac (moving it to D2)?

Unfortunately no, there is no timeline. I'm doing this on my spare time
which, as for most here, is very limited. I'm also working on other D
projects.

> I think it's D1 & Tango at the moment.

Yes, that's correct. I started the Mac port when DWT was still only D1
Tango. I've been working on this way too long.

> Will there be D2 & Phobos?

It definitely will be. Since I started with D1 and Tango I want to
finish the port first, before I switch to D2. I'm hoping the switch to
D2 will be fairly easy since the utility libraries/functions are already
ported to D2 (the Windows and Linux versions use them).

> Sorry if the questions are a bit naive. I'd love to use DWT. For now, I can use a Cocoa front
> end for my D program, but I'd love to have a cross-platform GUI one day.

I want to use DWT as well. Since my main platform is Mac OS X it will
happen.

> By the way, how do you pronounce DWT - "DWAT"?

I pronounce the three characters separately, D-W-T. DWT is short for D
Widget Toolkit. A play on the original name SWT - Standard Widget Toolkit.

> I was also thinking that embedded D (like PHP or JSP) would be nice too.
> I know, I am a bit of a D-reamer, but I think D should get out there
> into the world of "real world" applications. It's just too good to
> remain an "insider thing".

D kind of had that feature. I don't know if it's still available but
deprecated or completely removed. I think it could extract all code in
code-tags:

<code>int i = 0;</code>

http://digitalmars.com/d/1.0/html.html

--