What's up with the windows headers?

Phil Lavoie maidenphil at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 26 09:33:03 PST 2012

Holà,

I am currently reading Programming Windows and coding his
examples + my own initiatives. I know I am not the first one to
do this and Andrej Mitrovic directed me to his code samples. I
could not help but notice that those directives:
import win32.SOME_MODULE;
were used and are not supported anymore. I believe everything was
moved to the core.sys.windows.windows header. Now somewhere along
the way, either some MAJOR CHUNKS of the API got lost or they
were never declared in the first time. I am curious to know how
that happened and if this is planned to get fix for the next dmd
release?

In any cases, I need those functions to test the Win32 api as I
please so I started adding them to my own local import module.
Then I started thinking: Surely, I am not the first one to do
this? So I am asking the community if there is some knowledge of
a more complete windows module somewhere?

If not, then I would be glad to add my contributions to the
header so that it gets eventually completed. Now, in my HUMBLE
opinion, for people developing Windows programs or cross
compatible code (using the win32 api...) using D, isn't this kind
of a big annoyance (maybe it should get prioritize)? Plus, for
the newcomers making the jump from a language like C++ to D
intending to program windows this might look like a major step
back (since they got the full headers & stuff).

Additionally, I was wondering if it would be in the plans to also
automagically link on Windows import libraries other than those
currently supported (like gdi32 for example)?

Lemme know what you think.