What's up with the windows headers?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 09:44:09 PST 2012

On 27/12/2012 13:52, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
<snip>
> No. There was ifdef stuff of some kind, but I don't recall the
> details. You'd probably know more about that sort of stuff than I
> would. I'm just recalling stuff from previous discussions and not
> necessarily all that accurately.

So you mean ifdefs from the C headers that have been just commented out
because we weren't sure how to deal with them?  I'll have to take a
look.  Or ifdefs in some other set of headers?

> We're not supporting anything older than XP, but we're still
> supporting XP, so whatever is done with the bindings needs to be in
> line with that.

Are you referring to DMD or to the D language as a whole?  And where is
the official statement?

<snip>
>> When you say "handling types", what kinds of stuff you mean?
>
> IIRC, stuff relating to HANDLE, void*, and possibly some other
> stuff was being debated as to the best way to handle it. I don't
> recall the details.

Oh yes.  See my reply to Andrej's first post on this thread and the
thread linked to therein.  But hopefully making this change won't break
any code, but might expose some code as being already broken.

> I have no idea what that will ultimately meaning for the Windows
> API bindings project. I would think that it would become irrelevant
> and that anything that would have needed to be done there would
> just be done in druntime, but others may feel differently, and I'm
> not a Windows developer, so I don't know any of the nitty-gritty
> details here.

We've had this conversation already....
http://tinyurl.com/csg5oug
(For some reason this half of the thread seems to be missing from the
archives on digitalmars.com)

<snip>
> I believe that it was the "WinAPI for druntime and OpenGL for
> deimos" thread that Gor Gyolchanyan started, though it looks like
> it got chopped up funny in the archives:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.2156.1353669352.5162.digitalmars-
> d at puremagic.com
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.2157.1353670441.5162.digitalmars-
> d at puremagic.com

It seems the reason it didn't get anywhere was that I was too busy with
work and stuff and hadn't checked the 'group properly in too long.

Too bad that thread doesn't seem to have generated any interest in
helping with the project....

Stewart.