8505

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 06:35:03 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 11:34 -0800, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 12/27/2012 03:37 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>
>  > Willing, yes; caveat actually being able to build DMD, Druntime and
>  > Phobos from Git clones.
>
> This project may be helpful:
>
>    https://github.com/carlor/dlang-workspace

Also I think this needs to be made into a Git multi-module project so
that the cloning and update pulling of the repositories is handled
automatically by Git.

I have rewritten the script to handle symbolic links and cleaning but
this still leaves a problem with one of the components which insists on
an exact relative position of components as real directories. This means
there are too many assumptions in the DMD/Druntime/Phobos build for it
to be considered stable.

Whilst I think SCons can easily handle all this better than the Make
scripts currently there, I have no intention of promoting that solution
as I realize many want to promote a D-based build solution for C, C++, D
systems.

Also of course, I am a n00b to the build of DMD/Druntime/Phobos and so
have no right to have strong opinions :-)  What I can say is that the
current system isn't really up to scratch for someone wading in to it
from scratch.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk