Social comments integrated with dlang.org

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Dec 28 20:45:39 PST 2012

On Friday, December 28, 2012 23:36:09 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> All - please take a look at Sönke's integration of Disqus with dlang.org:
>
> http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/std/algorithm/balanc
> edParens.html
>
> What do you think? Again, I'm very much into the idea of integrating
> community-provided content but I was hoping a more D-friendly thing,
> like PHP documentation has PHP-friendly comments.
>
> In particular, I'm hoping to allow people to include code runnable
> on-line in disqus comments. Is that possible?
>
> Other thoughts?

I confess that my initial reaction is that it's incredibly messy to have user
comments on documentation. It seems unprofessional to me, and if the
documentation isn't adequate, then I'd argue that it should be improved rather
than having stray users comment on it. This is API documentation, not a blog.

There's also the issue of the comments becoming outdated when the documenation
_is_ properly updated.

Maybe it's ultimately a good idea. I question it though.

- Jonathan M Davis