Social comments integrated with dlang.org

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Dec 29 09:54:31 PST 2012

On Saturday, 29 December 2012 at 17:37:37 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/29/12 9:55 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Saturday, 29 December 2012 at 14:22:27 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Yes. I very strongly believe we need to have a form of
>>> community-provided contents. (Not sure whether disqus is the
>>> most
>>> appropriate vehicle, but since it's the only one that's
>>> currently
>>> implemented, it's by definition the best we have.)
>>
>> We also have a wiki, and the existing links to it on each page.
>
> We've had that for a while, wasn't successful.

How did you reach that conclusion?

When comparing the amount of contributions, we should take into
account that D is not as popular as PHP or jQuery.

The previous system used ProWiki, the problems of which have
already been discussed in depth. One of the more important ones,
as it pertains to discussion, is that it did not provide a simple
way to monitor all changes to comment pages (it does not seem to
have an equivalent of MediaWiki's Special:RecentChanges and
RSS/ATOM feed). Thus, questions could go unanswered for months,
until someone actually noticed that a question has been asked.

With MediaWiki, I have the option of integrating edit
notifications into DFeed, and turn them into IRC notifications.
This has allowed #d users to answer StackOverflow questions
within minutes of them being posted. (I have delayed this to
avoid pointless flooding while the bulk of initial edits
occurred.)