What's up with the windows headers?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 15:20:21 PST 2012

On 28/12/2012 19:20, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 28/12/2012 18:54, Phil Lavoie wrote:
> <snip>
>> Additional Question: Is there a reason why you use MingW's headers
>> instead of VC? I am just wild guessing here, but aren't VC's most likely
>> to be up to date?
>
> Copyright.  The MinGW headers are public domain.

On top of this, to use the headers from VS would require that somebody
who is involved with the project has access to a version of VS that has
the headers for the latest version of Windows, or at least access to
said headers.  What's more, it would be more of a challenge to update
our bindings when a new version comes out.

OTOH, anybody can download the MinGW headers for free, both the latest
version and older versions in order to compare them and determine what
changes need to be made to our bindings.

Stewart.